After digging in deep to a culture I have been bound to in more ways than one I have learned things and appreciate things on a whole other level. I understand a little more about my husband and why he acts the way he does sometimes. I get why my mother in law say some of the things she says, and I understand why he wants to do certain things with our son. Baseball is the only sport that matters in the Dominican Republic, so naturally Yadiel will be playing that. He eats queso frito, salami and platanos for breakfast because well that is a traditional Dominican breakfast. When Bachata or Merengue comes on, so does the party. Why do Haitians and Dominicans have beef, well it can be chalked up to oppression, colonization and other historical events. Learning about this culture makes me so proud that my son gets to share pride and claim such a vibrant culture! I want him to be proud of where his father and half of his family come from ! Learning about the culture and traditions of the D.R helped me for my present and future !
Food: Lots of fried food, platanos are a staple and they love goat. My husband actually had a goat named memo who lived in the house with them.
Music: lots of influences (African, Taino, and European)
Language: Spanish but def a dialect like no other, they talk super fast and a lot of their words are infused with indigenous words from the original inhabitants the Tainos.
Religion: Catholic
Family: Patriarchal
Lots of love and happiness, family is everything and you never go against the family!
I love how this concluded. I think it is so cool your husband keeps his culture from DR and that you were able to learn more about him through this blog journey.
ReplyDeleteI think it's very cool that this project allowed you to understand your husband and his family better. In the long run I think this will greatly benefit your children and your relationship. Cultural differences are sometimes really hard to understand but I think by digging deeper into a country's history and your husband's childhood it allows you to have perspective and to understand each other better. Now let's go dancing! :)
ReplyDeleteLoved learning about the Dominican Republic! I think it's so awesome that you took the time and learned the history and the culture of D.R. Thank you for sharing your family story with us!
ReplyDelete