Saturday, November 19, 2016

Palabras y frases !

So, we all know there are many different dialects of Spanish. Mexican, Chilean, Puerto Rican and Dominican to name a few !

I learned Spanish from my dad who lived in Spain and then from school in high school and in college.  So when i met my husband and tried to use my skills, he would basically look at me like o_O.

What I am trying to get at is that there are a bunch of words that mean different things when you are speaking Dominican Spanish.  Not just from Spain to D.R but from Mexican to D.R, I use Mexican because here in Cali most people learn the Mexican dialect.

Word/"regular" Spanish/ "D.R" Spanish

Cake/Pastel/Biscocho
Beans/Frijoles/Habichuelas
Stomach/Estomago/Barriga
A little/Poquito/ un chin
How are you?/ como estas / como tu ta

Those are just a few, these are things that are not always found you just kind of come into them as you speak and they correct you lol.  I will try to find more and will probably add another post or two as i get more words and phrases !!

This topic is very intriguing because different regions experience cultural and regional influences (obvi).  Even the weather of a region can change the way you use language !

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I never knew that... It's surprising how different the words are. Do you know if their dialect of Spanish is a mix of any of the languages of the people that colonized them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know the language has native influence from the Tainos (words like quisqueya) and can be a combo of both cultures or a slight tweeking of the word. There is french influence as well due to the proximity of Haiti and the history of the demographic patterns

      Delete
  2. It's interesting! Seems like language evolves by itself depending on culture, region, and even weather as you said. There are many versions of Spanish though, I guess you may understand most of them. Envy you! The only language that is similar to Korean is Japanese. But they have only basic structure of sentence in common, words, alphabet and sounds are totally different. I never understand Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting - I figured that it would be a dialect but was really surprised to see just how different the words are in spelling and sound. I would think they would be at least similar in spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of different cultures combine in different ways to create a dialect. This is an interesting concept. Its another lesson in DR culture and how unique it really. We are all learning from this.

    ReplyDelete