Growing up in DR: My husbands abuela would watch him so she could go to work and because culturally it is just "what they do"(husbands words not mine). His abuela would take care of all the children feeding them arroz, habichuelas, platanos and pollo. She was strict and would not hesitate to give "powpows". He grew up only speaking Spanish and drinking dule de leche. Cousins were an important part of the family and were just as close as brothers and sisters. Going to the beach was an every other day or weekly thing (they lived right by the beach).
My husbands father's family (who were upper class) were very strict and "proper". Very much aligning with an upper class family in the United States.
My husbands mother's family had 12 kids and lived happily but could not afford to go college and the nice schools in Puerto Plata. My husband is very close with his mother;s side because they all grew up together in abuela's house.
When he came to the United States he was surprised at the amount of processed and eating out Americans feed their children. Also in the Dominican Republic the children have less possessions and opportunities so they learn to do more independent work at an early age. They know more survival skills I guess you could say than American kids. (which I have to agree with).
When we had our son Yadiel he was baptized immediately (6 weeks old) and was given a red bracelet with an evil eye pendant. This is to protect against the mal de ojo aka the evil eye.
They also love their jewelry my husband and his brothers all had gold chains and bracelets with their names on them.
It is customary-given the fact that the culture of DR is Latin and very much patriarchal, it is the mothers' job to cook and clean for the family. Home cooked meals for the children is a must and you WILL get talked about if you do not cook for the kids (I have experienced this first hand),
Boys are raised to work and provide for their family, at be the epitome of a Latino man,
Girls are raised with a stricter hand and focus more on education.
My husband said, being raised by Dominican parents is dramatic, for example if you don't do your homework you are automatically a drug dealer or a gang member lol.
Last but not least

Vapor rub cures all !
Here is a picture of Yadiel wearing his bracelet to protect him against the mal de ojo!
So lovely baby! It was interesting to hear how DR people are brought up. (I didn't understand many words in Spanish in this posting though) I feel a little bit sad because of their patriarchal system and culture. Confucianism culture ingrained in Korea has also long justified patriarchy. I hate that. My theme for the Monday class was gender equity. Haha.
ReplyDeleteYes I hate it to, luckily my husband is not like that (although he does have his moments). The women in his family call me "strong" but I know they are using it in a bad way because I do not fit into their ideal concept of a Latina wife.
DeleteI enjoyed hearing about Dominican culture. I am curious how your in laws met. It sounds like they both lived very differently because of their social class. I guess your husband got to experience both worlds. :)
ReplyDeleteThey grew up in the same city and roughly the same neighborhood. They met when they were 16 and have been together since. They went to different schools (his dad going to the private school) but saw each other around the neighborhood. My father in law's parents did not like my mother in law because she came from a less well of family.
ReplyDeleteAw :) Yadiel is adorable! The DR culture reminds me of my culture. I can totally relate to your husbands growing up experiences. Growing up, my cousins and I were always watched by our grandma. The expectations are the same: men are to provide, women are to take care of children and keep house. I am a disappointment lol since I am not married and don't know how to cook.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy hearing about the Dominican culture as I am not very familiar. i thought it was interesting that boys are raised to be head of household and girls are to focus on education. I also liked that your husbands family was focused around his grandma. My grandparents played a big role in my life as well.
ReplyDelete